The following article appeared in our 2014 Annual Report.
RANDOLPH – The volunteer Chaplaincy Program at Gifford Medical Center welcomed four new chaplains into its ranks in April.
Majita Miller of Randolph, Christopher Fuhrmeister of Randolph, Deborah Aldrich of Stockbridge and Lydia English of Williamstown joined the hospital’s 19 volunteer chaplains on April 12 after completing a seven-week training program.
The occasion was marked with special certifications presented by The Rev. Timothy Eberhardt, spiritual care coordinator at Gifford, and with music by Islene Runningdeer, a Brookfield music therapist.
While the volunteer chaplains are from numerous congregations in the greater Gifford area, they are carefully trained to present “a non-sectarian caring presence,” responding to the spiritual needs and concerns of all patients, The Rev. Eberhardt noted.
Chaplains visit hospitalized patients daily through all stages of life – from the Birthing Center to the Garden Room for end-of-life patients – and spend considerable time at Gifford’s nursing home, the Menig Extended Care Facility.
Another seven-week training course will be held in the evenings this fall. Anyone who is interested in the program or would like to learn more is encouraged to call Eberhardt at (802) 728-2107.
Gifford Medical Center has released its 2011 Annual Report called “The Role of a Community Medical Home”.
Its contents include:
- 2011 highlights
- Community response to Tropical Storm Irene
- “Contributing to the economy as an employer”
- “Giving back to the community”
- “Employees volunteering locally and afar”
- “Advancing technology for patients, physician recruitment”
- “Prepared for an emergency”
- “A conservative approach to health care reform”
- “The Vermont Blueprint for Health: Redefining primary care”
- “Not just a medical center; a medical home”
- “An award-winning medical center”
- Volunteer profile: Major McLauglin
- Messages from hospital leaders
- Medical statistics
- Donor profile: The Gifford Medical Center Auxiliary
- Gifford Corporators
Click here to download the report.